Some problems with himarks in active file

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Thu Jan 20 17:02:36 UTC 2011

Hi Petr,

> What is the maximum possible number of himark/lowmark in active file?
>
> I have a problem with numbers more than 2147483647 (31 bits, signed
> long, or something?)
>
> inn-STABLE-20110119

I'm afraid it is the maximum possible number…

See Section 6 of RFC 3977:

    Article numbers MUST lie between 1 and 2,147,483,647, inclusive.  The
    client and server MAY use leading zeroes in specifying article
    numbers but MUST NOT use more than 16 digits.  In some situations,
    the value zero replaces an article number to show some special
    situation.

    Note that it is likely that the article number limit of 2,147,483,647
    will be increased by a future revision or extension to this
    specification.  While servers MUST NOT send article numbers greater
    than this current limit, client and server developers are advised to
    use internal structures and datatypes capable of handling larger
    values in anticipation of such a change.

The protocol does not define (yet) a way to use higher numbers for
numbering articles.
INN does not handle that, and I do not think it will be implemented
soon.  We first need to specify how the extension to the protocol should
be dealt with.

Meanwhile, the only solution I see for your problem is to renumber the
newsgroups to start from 1.  I know there are drawbacks for readers but
we do not have any other solution with INN.
(Ray already did that with eternal-september.  Maybe he could give you
some tips if you wish to do the same thing.)

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Don't marry for money; you can borrow it cheaper. » (proverbe
   écossais)