Man pages and categories 1 & 8

Florian Schlichting fschlich at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Mon Jan 24 21:26:37 UTC 2011

Hi Julien,

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 09:58:11PM +0100, Julien ÉLIE wrote:
> What is the difference between the categories 1 and 8 for man pages?
> I see that we have references in our documentation for both rnews(1)
> and rnews(8), sm(1) and sm(8), innfeed(1) and innfeed(8), and so on.

from 'man man-pages':

   Sections of the Manual Pages
       The manual Sections are traditionally defined as follows:

       1 Commands (Programs)
                 Those commands that can be executed by the user from within a shell.

        [...}

       8 System management commands
                 Commands like mount(8), many of which only root can execute.

So I believe all man pages for INN command belong in section 1.

Florian