Moving servers

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Fri Mar 4 10:34:33 UTC 2011

Hi James,

> The only lines in my passwd.nntp file were:
>
> deathray.internal::
> #192.168.0.3::

Are these exact two lines triggering off:

innxmit: cannot authenticate with 192.168.0.3: Numerical argument out of
domain

?

I do not manage to reproduce it :-/

The syntax of these two lines is valid!

According to our documentation:

The second field is a user name, and the third is a password.  If either
the username or password is empty, then that portion of the
authentication will not occur.  (For example, a server may require only
a username, in which case the password is not necessary.  Note that a
username is mandatory with AUTHINFO USER/PASS.)

The optional fourth field specifies the type of authentication to use.
At present, the only recognized "authentication style" is authinfo; this
is also the default.  It means that AUTHINFO USER/PASS commands are used
to authenticate to the remote host.  (These NNTP commands are described
in RFC 4643.)

For example:

     ##  UUNET needs a password, MIT doesn't.
     mit.edu:bbn::authinfo
     uunet.uu.net:bbn:yoyoma:authinfo

":authinfo" is optional at the end of the line.

I therefore still do not understand why you had this error.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Bibere humanum est, ergo bibamus. »