Streaming NNTP bug?

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Tue Mar 22 18:00:28 UTC 2011

Hi River,

> I'm using INN 2.5.2 from pkgsrc on Solaris 10 x86.
>
> While developing a streaming NNTP client, I noticed an odd problem with
> INN: when sending a large number of CHECK commands to INN, its response
> would sometimes include extraneous junk characters at the start of the
> line.
>
> To test this, I generated a list of CHECK commands:
>
> % awk '{print "CHECK " $6}' /var/news/log/news | tail -5000>list
>
> and used the following program to send them to INN and read the replies:

I tried on my news server (on Debian), with your script.
I do not manage to reproduce the problem.

18:46 news at trigo /var/log/news% ./inntest news.trigofacile.com 119 list
200 news.trigofacile.com InterNetNews server INN 2.6.0 (20110212 prerelease) ready (transit mode)
438 <1aecd77f08f018eb at nocem.news.httrack.net>
438 <0b57c4cf-3cea-4671-8b0b-ed511f21e4e1 at l14g2000pre.googlegroups.com>
438 <im948l$j3a$6 at bluebubbleconspiracy.motzarella.org>
438 <97b75d59f8b80d11 at nocem.news.httrack.net>
438 <074bd42e-7a5a-4945-b0dc-05e2e6afd143 at o21g2000prh.googlegroups.com>
438 <605go61uqgjfrds8dnhviun3l7lb9ot9ea at 4ax.com>
438 <54dd87da175d363f at nocem.news.httrack.net>
438 <23083283-1c7f-433f-8a9c-f8f4d32cd6a0 at k10g2000prh.googlegroups.com>
438 <581f9a95-6333-4911-be37-3d52a0e27a40 at r13g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>
438 <c8e434b9e29da9d7 at nocem.news.httrack.net>
438 <8b81b41d-ec37-416c-bb94-a1defcf35aff at v11g2000prb.googlegroups.com>
438 <c46a327cd67301be at nocem.news.httrack.net>
438 <a163469a-a0a3-47bf-8167-e216db78e29c at k10g2000prh.googlegroups.com>
438 <im94kc$npk$1 at bluebubbleconspiracy.motzarella.org>
438 <23d13a4730877a3f at nocem.news.httrack.net>
438 <7162d380-b846-4927-9e55-f1f4d211c537 at x8g2000prh.googlegroups.com>
438 <abd9251470350c08 at nocem.news.httrack.net>
[...]

Same thing with 2.5.2.

I do not know why you see "c438" or another thing in response, especially
when every message INN returns begins with a printf("%d ...", response_code).
The behaviour you see is very strange.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« L'éternité, c'est long, surtout vers la fin. » (Woody Allen)