MacOS compilation

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun May 22 20:07:01 UTC 2011

> Hi Russ,

>> I suspect this is one of those things that libtool just handles for us,
>> were we to use libtool for everything instead of making it optional.
>> We're somewhat unusual these days for using Autoconf and building
>> libraries but not using Libtool.

> Wouldn't using "--enable-libtool" do the trick right now?

It would, yes.

> or should we really have a look at switching to Automake and Libtool?

I think it would reduce complexity in the long run, but I know some people
don't like Automake very much.  My preferred way to use Automake is also
non-recursive, which makes it hard to build a specific directory the way
that one can easily do in our current code layout.  People may not like
that.

I'm also not quite sure how to manage the current site infrastructure in
Automake, although there's probably some way to do it.