innfeed does not reopen (rotated) log file

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 9 17:59:11 UTC 2012

Florian Schlichting <fschlich at cis.fu-berlin.de> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 10:44:56AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> We certainly can't replace scanlogs with a logrotate configuration file
>> given that most systems (all of mine, for example) don't have logrotate
>> installed at all.

> interesting. What do you use for rotating system and webserver logs, or
> do you log to a permanent location directly and just expire old logs?

We use:

    http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/newsyslog/

because it understands how to rotate logs into AFS directories with
dropbox ACLs, which logrotate can't deal with.

> I'm not sure about "most systems", though, in the Debian world logrotate
> is installed on 99,93% of systems reporting to popcon.

INN supports operating systems other than Debian, though, which is what I
meant by "most."  There are a lot of INN users on BSD, for instance, and I
didn't think BSD used logrotate.  (Not to mention Solaris.)

I suppose we could try to ship native configuration files for all the
local log rotation systems on each different OS (does Solaris even have
one yet, as opposed to a little cron job that only deals with the system
syslog?), but in its way that's actually even more work.  scanlogs is also
integrated into nightly reporting and is the process that runs innreport,
so it's not trivial to replace.