nntp/inn question

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Dec 12 01:07:11 UTC 2012

Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net> writes:

> A silly question, perhaps, but one that influences something I'm working
> on:  If one cross-posts to multiple newsgroups:
> 1. does NNTP send multiple copies of the post, or one copy with multiple
> headers?

One copy with multiple newsgroups listed in the Newsgroups header.

> 2. does INN drop a copy into each group directory, or is it a bit
> smarter about it?

It depends on your storage method.  With non-tradspool storage methods, it
always stores only a single copy of the article.  With tradspool, there's
a configuration setting that creates links in the other group directories
to the canonical copy of the article.