No subject

Fri Feb 17 02:32:51 UTC 2012

server, a suggested set of options is:

        ./configure --with-perl

provided you have the necessary version of Perl installed."

But don't just take my word for it.  Eric Raymond says in his "Art of Unix
Programming", Chapter 10 that 'don't provide configuration switches for what
you can reliably detect automatically'.  He also states in Chapter 11 the
Rule of Least Surprise.  'The Rule of Least Surprise is a general principle
in the design of all kinds of interfaces, not just software: "Do the least
surprising thing".'

The next paragraph in Chapter 11 states "Thus, to design usable interfaces,
it's best when possible not to design an entire new interface model. Novelty
is a barrier to entry; it puts a learning burden on the user, so minimize
it.Instead, think carefully about the experience and knowledge of your user
base. Try to find functional similarities between your program and programs
they are likely to already know about. Then mimic the relevant parts of the
existing interfaces."

I really would like autoconf to find sendmail in /usr/lib for me.  If I
install a different one in /usr/local/sbin, then I should use
--with-sendmailto tell inn where I put it.

I am aware of the earlier thread of having it in the path, and I understand
some don't agree.  That's cool.  Diversity is a good thing.  If you decide
tokeep the existing behavior, please fix the INSTALL document to add a
"--with-sendmail" for unsuspecting Solaris users.

Bill

---
Bill Sellers
w.a.sellers at larc.nasa.gov