No subject

Fri Feb 17 02:32:51 UTC 2012

Didn't test it though.

> > It doesn't fall back to the default keyring location when there
> > is no keyring available at the location /usr/local/news/etc/pgp.
>
> That's not what the man page says.  :)  The man page says that it falls
> back to the default keyring location when the *directory* doesn't exist.

You are right. I didn't express myself clearly there.
Point is: gpgverify will always add the --keyring= option, and it
will always set it to the value newsetc/pgp/pubring.gpg
So it doesn't fall back to the default gnupg keyring (~/.gnupg/pupring.gpg).

> >> if (! $keyring && $inn::newsetc) {
> >>   $keyring = $inn::newsetc . '/pgp' if -d $inn::newsetc . '/pgp';
> >> }
> >>
> >> Why does this not work for you?
>
> > Well, that should now be obvious, given my explanation above.
> > It doesn't fall back to ~/.pgp and/or ~/.gnupg for the keyring location.
>
> That's exactly what the code above does.  It leaves $keyring unset if that
> directory doesn't exist, which will cause PGP and GnuPG to use their
> default keyring paths.

Ah, so I DID suggest that pgpverify doesn't work correctly after all!
Forget what I wrote here. It was too late.
I should have been sleeping by then. (well, maybe I was :-)

> Are we just talking past each other somehow?  You're saying that the
> pgpverify man page is wrong, but the code implements exactly what's stated
> in the man page.

No, I think we agree with each other. Sorry for the confusion.
Lesson learned: don't write email at 02:00 in the morning.

Regards,
Toon.