Inadequate error reporting from nnrpd Perl loader

River Tarnell river at RT.UK.EU.ORG
Mon Feb 13 12:43:50 UTC 2012

In article <4F39015F.1020307 at trigofacile.com>,
Julien ÉLIE  <julien at trigofacile.com> wrote:
>> At no point does it indicate there was any error loading the script, or
>> what the error might be.

>Isn't the following line what you were looking for?
>Feb  3 17:39:00 isis nnrpd[2481]: Perl function authenticate not defined

That doesn't really tell me anything -- I already knew that
authenticate() wasn't working, because no clients were able to
authenticate.  But before I found the actual problem I spent about 20
minutes looking at other things (like syntax errors in the script, nnrpd
configuration, ...).  For a simple case like 'unable to open file', an
error saying so would be quite nice.

Regards,
--
        -- river.                      | Free Usenet: http://news.rt.uk.eu.org/
Non-Reciprocal Laws of Expectations:   | PGP: 2B9CE6F2