Slow posting

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Thu Jan 5 18:34:42 UTC 2012

Hi The Doctor,

> within the last 24 hours,
> I have been noticing that it takes 5 minutes
> to post an article when yesterday it took 5 secinds.
>
> Please look into that.

I do not know what could be the issue.  I do not see the problem on my
news server.

I think it is more related to your system.  Telnet'ing your news server
takes a long time!  47 seconds for the following answer right now:

$ telnet news.nk.ca 119
Trying 204.209.81.3...
Connected to news.nk.ca.
Escape character is '^]'.
502 You have no permission to talk.  Goodbye!
mcount: gmon.out: Permission denied
Connection closed by foreign host.

Also, I still believe there is an issue in your installation of INN.
Maybe related to your PATH or your configure options.

In can.canet.stats, where you post your innreport stats, it is totally
abnormal to see about 100,000 unknown entries.  The first 50 ones show
lots of innfeed and innd checkpoints, that hopefully are *not* unknown
entries!

You should check the "mcount: gmon.out: Permission denied" I often read
in these reports, and even when telnet'ing your news server!
Do you build INN with profiling support?

Incidentally, I do not understand how nnrpd can send this line.  I do
not remember having seen such direct outputs, unless there is somewhere
a redirection of error messages (?!)

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Le tennis c'est comme le ping-pong, sauf qu'au tennis, les joueurs
   sont debout sur la table. »