Windows Live Mail rejecting GROUP response

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Mon Jun 4 19:49:18 UTC 2012

Hi Matt,

> Is there a known issue with Windows Live Mail reporting an error when
> checking an INN server for new messages?

Not that I know of.

> The only difference I see so far is that when Windows
> Live Mail sends a GROUP request, INN is returning a message count that
> is less than the high water mark minus the low water mark plus one
> (count < high – low + 1). At that point, Windows Live Mail closes the
> TCP connection and reports an error.

According to RFC 3977, Section 6.1.1 about the GROUP command:

    The successful selection response will return the article numbers of
    the first and last articles in the group at the moment of selection
    (these numbers are referred to as the "reported low water mark" and
    the "reported high water mark") and an estimate of the number of
    articles in the group currently available.

    If the group is not empty, the estimate MUST be at least the actual
    number of articles available and MUST be no greater than one more
    than the difference between the reported low and high water marks.
    (Some implementations will actually count the number of articles
    currently stored.  Others will just subtract the low water mark from
    the high water mark and add one to get an estimate.)

Your "count < high - low + 1" inequality is valid per RFC.
I believe there is a bug in Windows Live Mail if it closes the
connection when seeing such an answer!

I had been using Windows Live Mail with Windows Vista for one or two
years without any problem.  I think this inequality occurred so maybe
the problem is generated by another reply; or the latest versions of
Windows Live Mail (with Windows 7) have introduced a bug.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Quoi qu'elle fasse, la femme doit le faire deux fois mieux que
   l'homme pour qu'on en pense autant de bien. Heureusement, ce n'est pas
   difficile. » (Charlotte Whitton)