Current gcc warnings on ia64, hppa and sparc

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sun Jun 30 11:16:22 UTC 2013

Hi Russ,

> In the current rra-c-util, I've added (const void *) casts before the
> final casts for all of those assignments to try to suppress the warnings,
> as in:
>
>          sin6 = (const struct sockaddr_in6 *) (const void *) addr;
>
> in network_sockaddr_sprint.  However, I don't know if that actually worked
> since I don't have a system that issues this warning on which I can easily
> test.

I confirm it works.  I have just tried the change on a system that
issues the warning; I confirm this warning is no longer returned.
Thanks, Russ.

>> lib/getaddrinfo-t.c: In function 'main':
>> lib/getaddrinfo-t.c:74: warning: cast increases required alignment of target type
>
> These, on the other hand, are unavoidable and correct.  Here too I don't
> know if casting to void * first would suppress the warning.

I also confirm that changing:
     saddr = (struct sockaddr_in *) ai->ai_addr;
to:
     saddr = (struct sockaddr_in *) (const void *) ai->ai_addr;
suppress the warning.

> All of the uses of sprintf above are, of course, safe.

OK, thanks for having had a look at them, and of course your answer.
Have a nice week,

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Ne craignez pas d'être lent, craignez seulement d'être à
   l'arrêt. »