Fwd: Multiple innfeed processes

Florian Schlichting fschlich at cis.fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 26 13:46:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 08:12:17PM +0100, Julien ÉLIE wrote:
> I do not see why innfeed does not properly shut down.  It definitively should stop when innd closes its pipe to innfeed upon reloading.
> Maybe people in the inn-workers mailing-list will have ideas for that.

we use innfeed as a standalone daemon in funnel-file mode. While we
don't seem to have any such problem nowadays, shutting down innfeed with
its several hundred feeds has always taken quite some time. The
start/stop script we use for that first sends SIGTERM, then waits for up
to 120 seconds, and finally sends a SIGKILL. Our suspicion was that
innfeed develops a kind of "undead" connection with peers that fail to
respond properly, but never fully debugged it. So the fact that innfeed
now manages to always shut down within 10s here may be related to buggy
peers going out of service as much as bugs fixed between 2.3 and 2.5, or
perhaps with the way the kernel deals with stale network connections?

tl;dr - I'm not surprised, and kill -9 may be regularly needed to
terminate a process that's stuck in i/o

Florian