nnrp conf

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Dec 2 12:25:28 UTC 2014

Ouch.. 'n yes it is confusing for those not involved in its coding and
development, I kind of echoed your gripe some time ago, comparing it to
dnews access which is pretty much identical to what you've shown - I was
ignored on that aspect, I didnt realise that once it was plain as day
with inn as well, why the hell you'd go from something so clear to a
muddy watered mess I'll never know either.

and I'll +1 your request, not that it'll do much good I feel going by
past comments on other things.

On 02/12/2014 17:26, Edwardo Garcia wrote:

> Halo,
>
> Can we please have the access methods of nnrp,conf brought back!!?!
> for the love of god, I find for months our server has open to world
> because this readers.conf method of groups auth access foo, is such
> over complicating,
>
> example from ORielly
>
> n the virtual brewery example, we will allow any NNTP client in the
> Virtual Brewery domain to both read and post to al$
>
> # Virtual Brewery - nnrp.access
> # We will allow public reading of all newsgroups except our private one.
> *:R:::*,!rec.crafts.brewing.private
>
> # Any host with the Virtual Brewery domain may Read and Post to all
> # newsgroups
> *.vbrew.com:RP::*
>
> this methods so easy a child cant get it wrong why for love of god was changed?
>
> here a thought, maybe access can be determin by either readers.conf
> and its confuzions, or nnrp.conf with its so simple access like old
> was as exampled on google, if you want maybe if readers.conf exist it
> override nnrp file otherwise it use both, frank i think old method so
> much simple and zero hassle and my boss not threaten fire me like now
> for letting competition ISP customer use our server.

Links:
------