Temporary dir for mailpost

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Thu Apr 16 10:00:39 UTC 2015

Hi Russ,

>> "mailpost tries to store its message ID database in INN's pathtmp,
>> but since it's usually running as the mail system (often daemon)
>> rather than as news, this fails."
>
> I don't think there's a good alternative to just requiring some
> manual configuration when mailpost is set up.
>
> I think it would make sense to have a directory explicitly configured
> for mailpost, and to put the database and the temporary files there,
> and to document that this directory has to be created and set to be
> writable by the user that mailpost runs as.  And if we're going to do
> that, it might be simplest to just make -b mandatory, although that's
> not a backward-compatible change.  But it's hard to see how to do
> this safely in a backward-compatible way.

Thanks for your suggestions.
We may:
- put the database and the temporary files in the same directory
(configurable with -b)
- in case -b is not given, mailpost checks whether INN's pathtmp is
writable and if that's not the case, it dies with an error
- in case -b is given, mailpost checks whether the explicitly configured
directory is writable and if that's not the case, it dies with an error

Wouldn't that do the trick instead of making -b mandatory?

Hmm...  Couldn't we also just create and use the ~/.mailpost directory
by default instead of INN's pathtmp? (or ~/.inn-mailpost or
~/.inn/mailpost that could be useful if we ever wish to store files for
other programs ?)

--
Julien ÉLIE

« – Et on appelle comment ce genre de logis ?
   – HLM… Habitations Latines Mélangées… » (Astérix)