Parameters for NNTP COMPRESS extension

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Fri Dec 4 20:27:21 UTC 2015

Hi all,

> The next release of INN (2.6.1) will have compression support for news
> reading, via the use of the COMPRESS extension currently described in:
>      https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-murchison-nntp-compress-02
>
> Do you have a need for specific parameters to tune it?
>
> For the moment, I only plan to add a new inn.conf parameter
> (nntpcompression) that enables/disables NNTP compression support.

I have another idea, that besides could apply to other commands.

I suggest the following parameter:

disablecapabilities: [ COMPRESS SASL STARTTLS ]

This way, the news admin can disable at run time the COMPRESS, AUTHINFO
SASL and STARTTLS commands.  We currently cannot do that.
If INN is built with SASL or SSL support but the news admin does not
want it (or still has not configured SASL or SSL), he should be able to
disable them.
The "disablecapabilities" inn.conf parameter would permit to do that.

Any comments are welcome if you have yet another idea to achieve that.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« C'est une forêt vierge où la main de l'homme n'a jamais mis le
   pied. »