Migration from 2.5.2 to 2.5.4 problem.

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sun Aug 14 14:02:31 UTC 2016

Hi Kamil,

> I need to move news server from old Debian Squeeze server to new
> based on Jessie, unfortunately after I moved data I am no longer able
> to start Inn on new machine:
>
> /var/log/news/errlog says: innd: dbz: wrong of_t size (10)

Did the advice given to you by "nqbyav1zfu" earlier this week work?
If you change of server, you indeed need to do a proper migration of the history, the overview, and the spool.

Had you upgraded from Squeeze to Jessie on the same server, it would have worked smoother.

The inn2 packaged shipped with Debian in version 2.5.2 does not have LFS (Large File Support) whereas the 2.5.4 version has.  It therefore implies special care during that migration when using the Debian package.

FYI, the message that appears during the migration from Squeeze to Jessie of the inn2 Debian package is the following:

%%
You are trying to upgrade inn2 on a 32-bit system where an old inn2 package
without Large File Support is currently installed.

Since INN 2.5.4, Debian has stopped providing a 32-bit inn2 package and a
LFS-enabled inn2-lfs package and now only this LFS-enabled inn2 package is
supported.

This will require rebuilding the history index and the overview database,
but the postinst script will attempt to do it for you.

BEWARE: the timecaf spool format is not compatible between 32 and 64 bit
systems and no conversion tool is available.
A possible solution may involve manually feeding the articles to the new
server by using the old innxmit binary in a chroot environment containing
the old spool, history and /etc/news/.
%%

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Life is short… so eat dessert first! »