Relaxing a few checks

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Wed Mar 1 21:54:42 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Following an old discussion, I've implemented a new inn.conf parameter
that permits to control the level of checks performed by innd and nnrpd.
  Up to now, only one check can be enabled/disabled:  when "laxmid" is
mentioned in the values of this new parameter, INN accepts Message-IDs
that contain ".." and "@" in the left part (such Message-IDs would
otherwise be considered as syntactically invalid).  Some non-compliant
news posters generate such invalid Message-IDs, especially in binary
newsgroups.

Of course, the default value corresponds to the legacy behaviour, that
is therefore the one of INN 2.6.1.

For instance:

     syntaxchecks: [ no-laxmid ]

corresponds to the legacy behaviour (default).
News administrators wishing to relax that check only have to use:

     syntaxchecks: [ laxmid ]

I still have not committed the patch but will do soon.

Does anyone know another syntax that could be considered as valid in
Message-IDs?
More generally, does anyone have in mind other checks that INN currently
performs but you find annoying?  And on the contrary, checks that INN
currently does not perform but you would like to?

Thanks beforehand for your suggestions!

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Qui prête à rire n'est jamais sûr d'être remboursé. »
   (Raymond Devos)