Question concerning Availability of INN Windows Newsreaders with SASL

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Jun 26 18:05:53 UTC 2018

On 06/26/2018 11:47 AM, Chandler, Carolyn R [US] (MS) wrote:
> I would like to upgrade our INN installation to provide SASL
> authentication to users on Windows clients.  I’ve built/configured INN
> 2.6.2 with Cyrus SASL, but I’m having a hard time locating a
> Windows-based news reader that supports SASL. Is there one actually
> available?  I initially thought SeaMonkey had SASL support, but I now
> think that is incorrect.  Any information that points me in the right
> direction would be helpful.

Every time I've used SASL (usually with Sendmail) it provides a backend
for the protocol's native authentication.  As such, I don't think
clients need to know anything about SASL.  Rather you need your client
to support standard protocol authentication.

I'm using Thunderbird with authentication against a news.grc.com which
(to the best of my knowledge) is INN (I think) running on Windows.

So I would expect that any news client that supports NNTP authentication
would work.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die