ovdb instability with Berkeley DB5/6

boogles at tolkien.mit.edu boogles at tolkien.mit.edu
Mon Sep 23 21:30:55 UTC 2019

    Julien> What is the setting of the "readserver" parameter in
    Julien> ovdb.conf?  The recommended setting is "true".  It permits
    Julien> cleaner shutdowns for the database, improves stability and
    Julien> avoids deadlocks and corrupted databases.

I left it at the default of true in the new distribution.  I did reduce
numrsprocs to 1, because there are very few readers on this server.

    Julien> I understand from your experience with recent BDB versions
    Julien> that "useshm" set to true improves stability with FreeBSD.

I should probably do more testing with BDB 4.8 with useshm off.  I just
ended up there because I couldn't get 5.3 and 6.2 to work at all unless
I had it on.

    >> If this happens again, do folks have thoughts on how to debug it?

    Julien> When you say above "It would die and corrupt the DB", do you
    Julien> mean innd dies, or an ovdb process, or makehistory?  If you
    Julien> can get a stack trace, it would probably be helpful.

I'll work on that the next time I'm feeling experimental.  In the case
of running makehistory, I would keep innd stopped.

Thanks for the tip!

-B