INN and docker default hostnames

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Sat Apr 4 17:41:17 UTC 2020

Richard Kettlewell <rjk at terraraq.uk> writes:

> However, INN hates it, and refuses to even install:

INN refuses to run with a single component hostname because the chances
are low that it's globally unique, and historically INN considers it
unsafe to run without an FQDN to put in the Path.  This is an old, old
check, predating containers and Docker and all of that world.

I do think it's at least mildly dubious to run INN without an FQDN to put
into the Path header.  It's kind of obnoxious for innconfval to fail
(that's because there's only one inn.conf parser and it behaves the same
way for everything).

The quick fix would probably be to find a way to preseed the domain name
so that the package installation succeeds (which may not be supported by
the Debian packaging currently).  I'm a little dubious about relaxing this
check in general, since putting unqualified hostnames in the Path header
and using them for loop checking sounds likely to cause weird problems.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

     <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.