QIO_BUFFERSIZE

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Thu Dec 3 16:17:24 UTC 2020

Hi Bo,

> lib/qio.c contains:
>> /* A reasonable default buffer size to use. */
>> #define QIO_BUFFERSIZE  8192
>
> I don't think this is reasonable any more, because it limits the maximum
> length of an overview line in makehistory, and there are definitely
> artic|es in the wild with longer overview data.  Having different overview
> size limits in innd and makehistory is just wrong.

Have you tried to increase that value, and is everything still working
fine?  (access to previous records, and write of new ones)

This value is only used for setting the buffer size in QIOfdopen().  It
seems that increasing it would do no harm (contrary to decreasing it,
which then may lead to errors for too long lines).

So we would need to at least have 4 * QIO_BUFFERSIZE because an inferior
value may cause the real buffer size decrease, according to:
         if (size > (4 * QIO_BUFFERSIZE) || size == 0)
             size = QIO_BUFFERSIZE;

>> $ echo 'group rec.arts.comics.strips
>> over 56677' | nc nntp.aioe.org 119
>> 200 nntp.aioe.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.5.4 ready (posting ok)
>> 211 1224 56506 57729 rec.arts.comics.strips
>> 224 Overview information for 56677 follows

Indeed, that overview line contains about 10179 bytes.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Boire du café empêche de dormir. Par contre, dormir empêche de boire
   du café. » (Philippe Geluck)