Discussion about Cancel-Lock support

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Mon Dec 7 00:26:00 UTC 2020

>> My inclination would be to support all of the non-MD5 algorithms for
>> verification but only generate SHA-256.  I don't think there's much
>> gained by using the other algorithms.

>> It looks like Gnus still only supports SHA-1.

> For interoperability reasons, it seems that we'll have to handle a
> transition period, and generate two hashes for each message (SHA-1 and
> SHA-256).  And support all of the non-MD5 algorithms to verify cancel
> keys.

On the generate side, I think it only matters what other servers support,
and I have no feel for what server support is out there and thus whether
we need a transition period for that part.  (What we generate won't matter
for Gnus, since it won't have the secret keys for those hashes anyway.)

Agreed on the verification side.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

     <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.