Update of supported systems

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat Jan 9 22:45:23 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I suggest an update to the list of supported systems at the beginning of
INSTALL:
   https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/install.html

I am unsure current versions of INN still work fine with very old
versions listed...

We currently say:

"""
As much as possible, INN is written in portable C and should work on any
Unix platform. It does, however, make extensive use of mmap(2) and
certain other constructs that may be poorly or incompletely implemented,
particularly on very old operating systems.

INN has been confirmed to work on the following operating systems:

     AIX 4.3
     FreeBSD 2.2.x and up
     HP-UX 10.20 and up
     Linux 2.x (tested with libc 5.4, glibc 2.0 and up)
     Mac OS X 10.2 and up
     NetBSD 1.6 and up
     OpenBSD 2.8 and up
     SCO 5.0.4 (tested with gcc 2.8.1, cc)
     Solaris 2.5.x and up
     UnixWare 7.1
     UX/4800 R11 and up
"""

Are there people here running INN 2.6.x on:
- AIX 4.3 or higher?
- HP-UX 10.20 or higher?
- SCO 5 and UnixWare 7 or higher? (or now Xinuos OpenServer?)
- UX/4800 R11 or higher?

=> Please tell us, so as to update the list accordingly.  And also if
you are running INN on a system not listed here:  Minix, Windows ...?

Suggestion of new wording:

"""
INN has been confirmed to work on recent versions of the following
operating systems:

     AIX (including 7.2)
     FreeBSD (including 12.1)
     Linux (including 4.19 and 5.10 kernels, glibc 2.28)
     macOS (including 11)
     NetBSD (including 9.0)
     OpenBSD (including 6.8)
     Oracle Solaris (including 10 and 11)

INN may also work on other operating systems like HP-UX, OpenServer or
UnixWare but has not been confirmed to.
"""

Or say "confirmed to build" instead of work?  (I don't know either if
there are running INN instances in AIX 7.2, Oracle Solaris 11 or OpenBSD
6.8...).
Or without any version at all?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« J'aime les calculs faux car ils donnent des résultats plus justes. »
   (Jean Arp)