Typhoon to Inn

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Mon Jul 26 19:06:00 UTC 2021

Hi Laura,Can Typhoon re-feed its news spool to another news server?  If that's the case, you could just send them to your new instance of INN. Otherwise, as Geraint suggested, you can use pullnews as a reader to grap your articles. It works very well.https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/pullnews.htmlAnother usual tool to do that is suck (a package outside INN).Note that you can run INN in slave mode (xrefslave set to true in inn.conf) so as to re-use the same article numbers as in your Typhoon news spool during the time of the transition.As you do not expire text articles, I believe CNFS buffers are most suited.tradspool and timehash store 1 article per file, which would exhaust your inodes.timecaf would probably work but is less used than cnfs.Do not forget to add new CNFS buffers when the ones you have are almost full, otherwise you would lost old articles (the buffer will wrap). Daily INN reports and also the cnfsstat command give you information about that.You can dedicate CNFS buffers to particular newsgroups (for instance binaries) so that they do not fill your other buffers too quickly.  And expire them after 28 days, or let the CNFS buffers wrap at xx GB.Examples are here:https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/expire.ctlcycbuff.confstorage.confIn case you have any other question, feel free to tell.  Good migration to INN!-- Julien
-------- Message d'origine --------De : Laura Steynes <laura.steynes72 at gmail.com> Date : 22/07/2021  08:20  (GMT+01:00) À : inn-workers at lists.isc.org Objet : Typhoon to Inn Hi folks,We are using typhoon 2.6, its some 12 years old and amazingly, on the same hardware, with the exception of a few drives in raid changed out for failures over the years.We have decided to format a plan of action and present it to our board for a replacement of all its aging hardware, so in preparation for rebuilding, moving data over, we have some questions.We can some 92K newsgroups, dating back with articles from 90's, all up, about 4TB of groups, kept low because binaries groups are expired after 28 days, so my questions areDoes INN have a method or compatibility program to move this data into INN?If not, does anyone have a suggestion of how, for instance INN in reader more to suck all a groups content - even if takes many days, we have no urgency to commission.I note INN seems to have several storage types, given above - most are text based groups, with some brief binaries groups content, which would be the better storage format?  Remembering we have an abundance of disk space, and we do not expire text groups articles.Does anyone have a sensible working config file for such cases they care to  share?Thank you.Loz