Splitting innreport.conf into 2 files?

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Wed Sep 22 17:38:26 UTC 2021

Hi all,

innreport.conf consists of about 50 lines of general parameters and then
of about 2400 lines for configuring what to display in the report.
I believe most users do not need to configure the display.  Having it in
innreport.conf does not permit fixing possible bugs or improving it
during an INN update.

Couldn't <pathetc>/innreport.conf be split into:
- <pathetc>/innreport.conf for general parameters only
- <path???>/innreport-display.conf (or any better name) for the rest

I'm wondering what would be the better path for that other file (as it
contains configuration, it would be <pathetc> but we do not modify these
files during an update...).
Of course, a new parameter should be added in innreport.conf to specify
an alternate display file (display_conf_file "" related to <pathetc>
this time).

Any suggestion to improve that?  Of course, if you also think something
should be done.  The main reason I see is to permit changing the
displaying sections in releases.
I am not convinced the current way we parameter innreport is the best
thing to do.  (And totally rewriting innreport is a bit of work...)

--
Julien ÉLIE

« – Il est parti comme il est venu…
   – Il ne faisait que passer… » (Astérix)