RtConfig has limited cache support

Glen Turner glen.turner at aarnet.edu.au
Tue May 15 19:44:51 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 18:54 +0200, Hagen Boehm wrote:

> Currently I'm working on a fix, but it would be nice to know the reason
> for the limited cache support.

Hi Hagen,

I don't know the reason for the lack of a cache.

I do know that RtConfig is the wrong place to be caching. Caching
in RtConfig assumes that you are only going to run RtConfig once.
That seems a bit unlikely.

It would be nicer to have a caching server running on localhost.
Then if you are running RtConfig for each router in your network
you end up with less WHOIS traffic and a consistent configuration
across all of the routers.

RtConfig is far too complex, and stripping complexity out of it
would make maintenance a lot simpler.

Best wishes, Glen