Only 3 out of the 8 tools compile !-{

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed May 30 18:09:16 UTC 2007

> Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 13:07:23 +0200
> From: Shane Kerr <Shane_Kerr at isc.org>
> Sender: irrtoolset-bounce at isc.org
>
> History:
>
> The IRRToolSet used to be maintained by Merit, and was then taken by the RIPE
> NCC, and is now maintained by ISC.
>

> Current status:
>
> Two of the applications were removed around the time that RPSLng was
> added: aoe and roe. These are graphical tools that seemed not to be
> very useful in production, and they broke on modern C++
> compilers. This was during the RIPE NCC time.
Actually, we made use of aoe and roe and I was sorry to see them go, but
the effort that would have been required to properly maintain them as
well as the large number of dependencies that they added to the code
really made their abandonment for the best. They were abandoned before
ISI turned the code over to RIPE.

> I don't know about the other three non-working applications: bgproute,
> prroute, and prtraceroute. The files have not been changed in 5 years,
> and I think this was when Merit still maintained the code. It is
> likely these applications have not worked for the last 5 years.

The other three apps worked fine at the time RIPE took over, but
required g++ 2.94 to compile. (This was true of all of the apps at that
time.)

While the other three apps have some value, the capabilities of the most
useful, prtraceroute, have been included in many other traceroute
programs including the one in Cisco IOS. I never really understood the
value of CIDRAdvisor. Many other, lighter weight tools provide the same
information, I have never used prpath. It might be useful, but I really
can't say. I have no idea about "bgproute". I don't recall it ever being
an official part of the release.

It would be nice if ISC would update the release and the web page to
remove the references to the tools that are now gone, though. I edit the
man pages in the FreeBSD port to remove references to them as well as
changing the poorly named Errors.1 man page to IRR-Errors.1 (as well as
changing all references to the new name).
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)