RPSL automation

S.P.Zeidler spz at serpens.de
Fri May 15 08:26:33 UTC 2009

Hi,

Thus wrote Nick Hilliard (nick at inex.ie):

[...] heh :)

> Once this is done, and the distribution has been reduced to a more
> manageable size, we can then start looking at the code, removing
> weird-ass stuff like various old and unmaintained library chunks (e.g.
> the rx lib, rusage, the src/Core/sched directory, and some of the many
> weird hashing and list management libraries that the code base has
> accreted over the years, and the strange
> i-can't-believe-it's-not-libiberty sort of stuff that's going on to deal
> with prehistoric operating system dysfunctionality.  This will tighten up
> the code quite a bit.

src/gnug++ needs to go. Autoconf should be redone, the current version
is quite dated too (and that's easier if one cleans up first).

> Could we rename "RtConfig" to "rtconfig" - or indeed anything with just
> lower case only?  Please?  I despise those StudlyCaps.

I don't mind either way. Just add a heads up if you do, so people can fix
places that depend on the current name (or set a link).

> And could someone explain whether we really need to use all of sstream,
> iostream, strstream, stringstream, ostringstream, streambuf, fstream,
> ifstream, ostream and ofstream?   Sorry, but there's just something gross
> going on in there.

It's all system supplied lib, so it's not critical, but something like a
style unification may help maintainability in the medium run.
Even just running everything through indent would help :-P

> On a more positive note, what would people like to see in peval and
> RtConfig?  How could these be improved to be generally more useful?

RtConfig/f_junos.cc would be more useful if it ordered prefixes right for
JunOS; I know what to do about it, I just need some time to get to it.

And then, there should be a fresh release. Even just tarring a trunk
checkout as is would be progress. Don't wait until it's perfect :-P

regards,
	spz
--
spz at serpens.de (S.P.Zeidler)