Death of irrtoolset?

Faidon Liambotis paravoid at debian.org
Fri Oct 9 15:38:43 UTC 2009

Hi,

I wasn't able to attend RIPE 59 but I just read the presentation slides
and the transcript of Nick's talk.

I have to say, I don't really understand why there was an announcement
of the project's death, especially after so much work happening in the
last few months -- and even without a prior discussion on the mailing list!

We (as in, the Greek Research and Technology Network, AS5408) are using
it on our day-to-day operations and even though it has some rough edges,
it has been *extremely* useful to us.

As evident from my work in the past few months, we are willing to commit
resources to its development and help fix bugs, add features and
maintain it long-term.

I don't disagree per se with your statements regarding the quality and
size of the code; in lieu of a better alternative, however, I think the
best solution would be to gradually fix the problems (and that includes
replacing all the weirdly licensed code).

All in all, I don't understand this sudden change of heart.
Could you please give more details about your plans, especially
regarding ISC's position on this?

Thanks,
Faidon