suggestions for JUNOS rtconfig

Robin Pimentel robin at pimentel.me
Wed Mar 7 17:34:08 UTC 2012

Thanks for clarifying.  I did misunderstand.  I hope I am able to
understand it better this time around.  Originally, I did not mean to
suggest that m work-around was compatible with rtconfig.  I was offering a
work-around in lieu of the rtconfig feature request, which I hope gets
consideration.  Outside of rtconfig, if you would like to consider a
work-around, I have modified junoscript example scripts to push configs
over SSL and XNM to do what you describe.  In the situation you describe, I
have used both "load replace" on the cli and the modified tools I have
mentioned to push configurations from (for example) revision controlled
source files.  A text configuration such as this is similar to what I push
to routers:

policy-options {
  replace: policy-statement INTER-CONTINENTAL-EXPORT {
    term next-hop-self {
        from {
          protocol bgp;
          route-type external;
        }
        then {
          community add THIS.REGION;
          next-hop self;
          next term;
        }
    }
    /* shortened for brevity */
  }
}

Here I have chosen to replace at the policy statement level, but the
replace tag will overwrite everything in the hierarchy below the level at
which it is placed.  Hence, if you wanted to replace just the term, you
would move the replace tag to that level and that term would be re-written
(not merged).

Good luck with your projects.
Robin.