IRRToolset Caching

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Tue Feb 10 12:38:04 UTC 2015

On 09/02/2015 17:01, Kristofer wrote:
> Do you know anything about the below piece of caching code? I
> actually already built a TCP IP daemon around rtconfig so I was curious
> how people were creating the files that are used by rtconfig's -f argument.

it's not a piece of code I've looked at, but I seem to recall persistent
reliability problems with it when irrtoolset was more popular.  It's
entirely possible that the cache writing code was removed a couple of years
ago.

If you're trying to do stuff with lots of objects, you're going to run into
performance problems due to query serialisation.  bgpq3 gets around this by
using pipelining, and if you only need to query for as-sets and route
objects, then you'd be better off using this.

If you need more speed in irrtoolset, your best bet would be to install a
local copy of the Merit implementation of irrd and get an NTRM feed from
the main IRRDBs.  This will reduce your query latency down to the point
that irrtoolset might works reasonably well.

Nick