[Kea-announce] Good News!

Victoria Risk vicky at isc.org
Wed Jun 13 21:00:05 UTC 2018

Kea users-

When we released the Kea 1.4 beta we hadn’t decided whether to charge a premium for the Kea HA feature, so we didn’t include it in the beta package. (Thank you to all those who bothered to email us asking to beta test it!)

We have decided to include the Kea High Availability feature in the Kea open source - for free.

DHCPv4 failover is a widely-used feature of ISC DHCP, and the lack of failover has prevented a lot of users from migrating to Kea. We don’t want to put a price tag, however accessible, in the way of people upgrading from ISC DHCP to Kea.  We also are aware that many users are already using a shared or clustered database backend to provide some redundancy for Kea and we want to ensure that the choice of failover methods is based on technical merits and requirements, rather than for the sake of saving a few dollars.

The Kea HA feature is designed to work with either the memfile or the database backend, and it can provide the trigger for ‘partner-down’ mode even if you are using database replication for the lease updates.

We do still need your financial support for the Kea project. We created the Kea Premium package, which we sell on the ISC web site for $499, as a way for users who don’t want or can’t afford an annual support contract to contribute significantly to the project. If you can support Kea, we would love to have your contribution, but if you can’t, we still want you to have the Kea HA feature.

The Kea 1.4 final version is nearly ready and should be released in a few days.
Thank you!

Victoria Risk
Product Manager
Internet Systems Consortium