[kea-dev] Relay Agent Option

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Tue Dec 16 12:02:05 UTC 2014

On 16.12.2014 12:35, anuj chauhan wrote:
> Can someone please help me to find out which class of kea-dhcp code is
> responsible for reading a dhcpdiscover packet.and
> and selecting a subnet based on relay agent ip address.
Discover packet (and any other DHCPv4 packet) is being represented by
isc::dhcp::Pkt4 (in src/lib/dhcp/pkt4.cc|h). The subnet selection
process is conducted in isc::dhcp::Dhcpv4Srv::selectSubnet() (in
src/bin/dhcp4/dhcp4_srv.cc|h).

> Can I use Relay Agent suboption*/remote id/* to assign a specific ip
> address.If yes How do i get to that part of Code in dhcpserver.
No, you currently can't. We are currently working on adding host
reservation mechanism that is planned for our next release - 0.9.1. It
will allow reserving specific IPv4/ IPv6 address and IPv6 prefixes for a
given host. The plan for 0.9.1 is to allow reservations by MAC address
and client-id. We currently do not have plans to implement reservation
by remote-id.

Having said that, this is our initial implementation of the host
reservation mechanism. We plan to extend it over time, but we don't have
specific plans defined yet. Feedback such a yours is very useful for us.
Features that are requested by users are more likely to be considered
for our roadmap. And, as usual, patches are more than welcome. But
before you consider writing new code, please read our Contributor's
Guide (http://kea.isc.org -> Developer's Guide -> Contributor's Guide).

If you are interested in this code, it is currently available on
trac3564. You may find its description here:
http://kea.isc.org/ticket/3564. We're hoping to have this code merged to
master by end of this week.

Hope that helps,
Tomek