[kea-dev] On persistent lease file clean-up mechanism

Chaigneau, Nicolas nicolas.chaigneau at capgemini.com
Mon Nov 24 17:20:42 UTC 2014

Hello Marcin,

Thanks for your feedback!

Both option 1 and 2 you describe have, in my opinion, one common issue: the server must halt processing the DHCP packets in order to rewrite the lease file, which can take some time when dealing with very large lease files.

The main point of the algorithm I proposed was to eliminate the file clean-up entirely, while ensuring data integrity (no loss of data).
This is achieved through a time-triggered rotation of the lease file.

I'll take an example, hopefully making myself clearer :)

With a lease time of 30 minutes, and a rotation of the lease file triggered every 30 min:

Server is started at t0.

At t0 + 1 min, lease L1 is allocated, and written in <lease file>.
At t0 + 29 min, lease L2 is allocated, and written in <lease file>.

At t0 + 30 min, the clean-up mechanism is triggered:
<lease file> is renamed to <old lease file> (which now contains leases L1 + L2).
<lease file> is recreated, empty.

At t0 + 31 min, lease L1 (not renewed) expires.
At t0 + 44 min (considering a renew-timer of 15 min), lease L2 is renewed.

At t0 + 60 min, the clean-up mechanism is triggered again:
It's alright because any lease that is not expired has necessarily been renewed, hence is in <lease file>.
This property is verified as long as we ensure that the clean-up interval is at least equal to the maximum lease time value.

At any time if the server is restarted, all non-expired leases can be retrieved from the aggregation of <lease file> and <old lease file>.
Hence, no data loss, at the cost of a slightly more complicated start-up processing.

This is a simple scenario where the lease file is cleaned-up only on a regular time trigger.
I understand that combining this with other clean-up triggers, such as those you describe, will make things much more complicated... possibly with multiple lease files, and the need to decide when an older lease file can be safely deleted. I really haven't given this much thought, I only wanted to propose something that would be sufficient for my needs.

Anyway, thanks for reading and considering this :)

Regards,
Nicolas.