[kea-dev] Thoughts on reading the ARM documents

Angelo Failla pallotron at fb.com
Fri Oct 24 10:34:41 UTC 2014

On 10/24/14, 4:14 AM, "Shawn Routhier" <sar at isc.org> wrote:

>1) Many users use something like nagios to watch over their dhcp servers
>it would be useful to either work well with those tools or provide our own
>that does similar nannying.

In Facebook we use a Python script that uses Scapy
<http://www.secdev.org/projects/scapy/>
for that.
It works for both DHCPv4 and v6.
Since we basically use host reservation via a customized hook we just have
to check that
the returned IP for a SOLICIT/DISCOVER is the expected one.
For DHCPv6 we have to pretend to be a DHCP relayer because kea dhcp6
discards messages
that has been sent to unicast.

If you are interested I can see if I can remove a few facebook-ism from
the script and make
a pull request so that you can put it in your tests/ contrib/ (or whatever
you guys use)
Directories.
Let me know!

>5) Note for failover support - the state of the lease will need to be
>stored in the
>lease database. (Free, backup and active at least, possibly others for
>transition states).

For leases have you guys thought about using memcache or other key value
stores?
Some of them like Redis have disk persistency features:
http://redis.io/topics/persistence
I¹m suggesting those systems because they might provide better latency as
everything is served from memory.

-
Angelo Failla
Cluster Operations