message dropped following "isRelayed" exception - log is not explicit

Chaigneau, Nicolas nicolas.chaigneau at capgemini.com
Wed Sep 3 10:01:09 UTC 2014

Hello,

In case of a received message with "giaddr" but no "hops", function "isRelayed" throws an exception (packet is considered malformed).

However, function "acceptDirectRequest" just catches the exception and returns false. Nothing is done with the exception message.

Hence, in the log we only have:
2014-09-03 11:52:18.333 INFO  [kea-dhcp4.dhcp4/5946] DHCP4_NO_SUBNET_FOR_DIRECT_CLIENT no suitable subnet configured for a direct client sending packet with transaction id 1234, on interface eth0.102, received message is dropped

... which is not explicit at all.
>From the log I thought my configuration was incorrect. But the problem was with the message sent by client.
Only reading the code allowed me to figure out what was wrong.

Would it be possible to log the exception message ?

Regards,
Nicolas.