Re-designing the config parsers

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Fri Sep 12 10:44:57 UTC 2014

Tomek Mrugalski writes:
> On 11.09.2014 18:01, Francis Dupont wrote:
> > Marcin Siodelski writes:
> >> I should also explain that we discussed with Tomek a use of Bison
> >> framework (http://www.gnu.org/software/bison/) in Kea.
> >
> > => I heavily used bison (and other LALR(1) parsers) in the past...
> > BTW if you want to provide a parser style config, IMHO the best
> > available is JunOS from Juniper (far better than the Cisco config).
> No, we don't want to change the format. It will stay as it is.
> The plan is to refactor/redo the code that parses that input.

=> so you have bison and equivalent, and for hand written parsers
top down vs bottom up.

> The input will stay as it is now: JSON syntax.

=> JSON was designed to be easy to parse (for an example of the opposite:
ASN.1 :-).

Regards

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>

PS: parsing is in general easy, to return something really useful on
a syntax error is hard.