kea-dhcp4 - benchmarks (memfile and mysql)

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Tue Sep 16 14:50:48 UTC 2014

> The fact that Kea is not multi-threaded is disappointing.

=> I am afraid multi-threading won't give the performance advantage
you believe: real DHCP service is disk I/O bound (for the lease file
or database) so if you simply multi-thread it you can gain a factor
of 2 or 3 at best.

> Our server has 24 cores, 23 of which are hence sitting idle...

=> so the best would be to see 20 of them idle...
If you can partition the DHCP service (different independent
subnetworks for instance) the right idea is to split the server into
a small number of virtual machines or containers and to run one
DHCP service in each of them (you are limited to one to avoid
server address/port conflict).

> I hope you can add support for multiple cores in the future

=> first multi-core is not multi-thread, second to get a real benefit
of multiple cores you need really independent services. So I am
afraid your first idea could lead just to a dead end...

Regards

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>