[kea-dev] DHCP Hackaton summary

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Wed Sep 24 13:36:42 UTC 2014

Tomek Mrugalski writes:
> First, Dominik mentioned an interesting feature that was recently added
> to Linux kernel. It is apparently possible for multiple processes to
> bind to the same address/port. It works similar to REUSE_ADDR, but only
> one process gets the packet, not all of them. If this is indeed working
> as expected, we could start doing multi-process experiments much sooner
> that we initially thought.

=> we had a discussion about this for bind9. BTW I don't believe it will
really help for KEA because the bottleneck is not the packet processing
but the lease database (or worse, file :-) update. Anyway it is still
useful for stateless exchange and it can be simulated with a load
sharing feature...

> Another discussion was about raw sockets in DHCPv4. Our implementation
> is working, but raw sockets are cumbersome to use. There are complains
> raised already. One user was displeased that iptables are not working.
> Indeed, they can't as raw sockets essentially bypass the kernel stack.

=> iptables are before the kernel stack so this reason is not enough
(but there are other reasons so I agree to not reject the request).

Regards

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>