[kea-dev] Requirements for statistics module in Kea

Angelo Failla pallotron at fb.com
Fri Apr 3 15:49:41 UTC 2015

Hi,

I had a read at the requirement docs and it looks ok.

I have two idea that you might be interested in:

1) One thing that you guys might consider (which we measure in our custom
hook in Facebook) is request latencies. That basically is how much time the
server spent processing a client request.
While this is not very interesting in case you use static JSON configuration and
lease allocation (as it is very fast!) it is very handy for people like us who wrote
their own hook that talks to an external endpoint or DB. That way ops/SRE/devops
people can catch regressions talking to their backends.

2) the other thing is design the statistic module to be hookable pretty much like
the existent hook API, that will allow people that are skilled in C++ to export
the counters to their monitoring systems. For example make an option to flush counters
every x minutes and have that method hookable. Or even make the module so that
when a counter is incremented a hook function specified by the user is called

Let me know what you think. what I *REALLY* love of KEA is the possibility to extend
it with the hook api so keeping the same paradigm for other modules would be GREAT!

Keep up the good work! :)
--
Angelo Failla - Clusterops Dublin
pallotron at fb.com