[kea-dev] Requirements for the Logging and Diagnostics in Kea

Marcin Siodelski marcin at isc.org
Tue Apr 7 11:10:05 UTC 2015

Hi All,

One of the goals for the Kea 0.9.2. release is "Logging and Diagnostics
Improvements". This includes a number of little improvements and tweaks
to the existing logging system, but some of the possible enhancements
are much more significant than this.

I have created the requirements document
http://kea.isc.org/wiki/DiagnosticsRequirements for "Logging and
Diagnostics Improvements", which is meant to summarize the requirements
mentioned in different discussions we've had so far.

This document is still a "draft" because there is the outstanding
requirement which we're discussing internally and I am not sure if there
is a reliable way to implement it. That is:

"Kea MUST provide an utility to automatically locate a core file after
server crash to prevent future server runs from overriding the core file."

Note that not only does this requirement provide a way to prevent
override of the core file but it also allows for having a convenient way
to put all useful debugging information in a single place (The same
utility could copy the current configuration file, lease file, log file
etc).

However, I am not familiar with any standard and reliable way to locate
the core files. On Linux I know that there is a core_pattern file but it
may redirect the core file to a program, rather than save it in the
specific location on the disk. In that case, you don't really know where
the core dump goes.

Please review all other requirements in the document and provide your
feedback.

Thanks,

Marcin Siodelski

DHCP SW Engineer