[kea-dev] link-local-only operation

Templin, Fred L Fred.L.Templin at boeing.com
Fri May 15 15:50:57 UTC 2015

Hi Tomek,

Yes, that is what I want. This is what I am already doing.

> It will delegate /64 prefixes out of its 2001:db8:1::/56 pool.

Good. Also what I want.

> If clients ask for addresses (send IA_NA), they will get NoAddrsAvail in
> their IA_NA responses.

Should never happen, so it is fine.

> Does that address your need?

The concern I have is this part:

        > # That doesn't really matter. Kea will be unhappy if there's no
        > # subnet parameter.
        >       "subnet": "2001:db8::/64",

That is what I mean by "burning a prefix". I don't want to have to
associate any global IPv6 prefix with the eth0 interface in any way;
I want it to be purely link-local just like for "ping6 -I eth0 fe80::1',
So, I would like to have a "no subnet" model where the only
guidance to kea is the interface name itself.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin at boeing.com