[kea-dev] Trac changes, performance increase

Jeremy C. Reed jreed at isc.org
Tue Nov 3 16:58:47 UTC 2015

Some of the Kea community may have noticed that the Trac site was
getting slower and slower. For the Trac team it was becoming unbearable,
especially when tasks like updating tickets or generating reports were
taking over thirty seconds when should be instant.

In the trac.ini [ticket] section, I changed restrict_owner from true to
false. Great speed up. It is a known Trac issue with multiple Trac
tickets, including http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/4245 The problem is
related to have too many user accounts and its inefficiency with
checking privileges for each. (I have no idea why it checks these
privileges for the slow HTML reports but not for the fast RSS reports.)

(Sorry I overlooked this before, as it was briefly noted also in
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracIni and
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracPerformance#Configuration.)

This means that "review to" and "reassign to" ticket actions now are
text field entry boxes and no longer a drop-down menu of username
choices. I think we can live with this until we prune out all the many
user accounts from the Kea Trac site. (Most are spammers.)

My plan is to somehow see if the Trac users have legitimate Kea wiki or
Kea ticket contributions. If not, remove the bogus user account. Once we
get the list of users down to some small amount (I guess less than 30
legitimate), we can try to renable the restrict_owner=true.

If you notice any other issues related to the "restrict_owner=false"
change, please let me know.

We have several other Trac changes to consider (like new plugins), but
we were waiting for the Trac performance to be solved first. Maybe in
two weeks we can verify this change is okay and then start with those
tasks then.

  Jeremy C. Reed
  ISC