[kea-dev] KEN and RFC7598 S46 Port Parameters Option (92)

normen.kowalewski at telekom.de normen.kowalewski at telekom.de
Thu Nov 26 17:41:56 UTC 2015

Hi Tomek,

after checking if the RFC was referenced in the (current - thanks for the reminder!) docs [1], I wonder how I in KEA can construct the S46 IPv4/IPv6 Address Binding Option (92) as listed in an RFC7598 [2]

The question arises because I fail to understand which data types kea currently could use to express the variable prefix length constructs as defined in the option (RFC7598 chapter 4.4.)

   o  bindprefix6-len: 8 bits long; expresses the bitmask length of the
      IPv6 prefix specified in the bind-ipv6-prefix field.  Allowed
      values range from 0 to 128.

   o  bind-ipv6-prefix: a variable-length field specifying the IPv6
      prefix or address for the S46 CE.  This field is right-padded with
      zeros to the nearest octet boundary when bindprefix6-len is not
      divisible by 8

I am aware that I COULD create content externally to kea as a list of plane words/bytes and assign it, but I was more interested to have a "proper" option object with a "proper" underlying data type...

Should this be currently not possible, it that a part of what is planned to make it into kea 1.0 ?

Thanks a lot,

Normen Kowalewski

[1] https://ftp.isc.org/isc/kea/0.9.2/doc/kea-guide.html#dhcp6-std-options-list
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7598