[kea-dev] Kea - root privileges and security ?

Chaigneau, Nicolas nicolas.chaigneau at capgemini.com
Thu Oct 1 15:13:13 UTC 2015

Hello guys,

It has been pointed out to me that Kea being executed with root privileges might cause security vulnerabilities.
I believe this to be a valid concern, but I'm not sure if there is much we can do about this.

I understand that a DHCP server needs root privileges for a number of actions: to open / use raw sockets, bind on privileged ports 67 / 68, and maybe more.

I was wondering if it could be feasible for the process to drop its root privileges (through seteuid ?), and only restore them when it actually needs them.

Maybe this doesn't make sense. Probably it would be complicated.
In any case, I'd like to hear your opinion on the matter. :)

For example, CMU's dhcpd (not ISC's !) seem to implement such a feature (see "running as an unprivileged user"):
https://www.net.princeton.edu/software/dhcpd/dhcpd.8.html
(note that I don't know anything about their product, except what I've read from their documentation)

Any thoughts ?

Regards,
Nicolas.