[kea-dev] Client classification design

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Tue Oct 13 15:31:27 UTC 2015

Folks,
I took a first stab at the client classification design. See the
document here: http://kea.isc.org/wiki/ClientClassificationDesign

For the reference, we have the requirements more or less described here:
http://kea.isc.org/wiki/ClientClassificationRequirements.

We had some discussions about the syntax, but I did think about it a bit
more and came up with three alternative proposals. Please comment on
which one seems to be the best in your opinion (or reject all of them
and propose a fourth one). I tried to be objective and not push for any
specific one.

Keep in mind that we're working under very tight schedule here and
client classification is a broad and complex topic. There's a lot we
could do, but due to the time constraints, we need to be very selective
for phase 1 (aka Kea 1.0).

Some parts of the design will likely be moved to the requirements page,
but I want to keep it in the new doc for now, so you could review it
more easily as one chunk.

It would be great if you could provide your comments by end of this week
(Oct. 16th), so we could start an implementation the next week.

Thoughts? Comments? Tomatoes?

Tomek