[kea-dev] perfdhcp template question

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Wed Apr 27 15:09:07 UTC 2016

Angelo Failla writes:
> I have a question about perfdhcp. I see there is a -T template_file option:
>
> -T<template-file>: The name of a file containing the template to use
>     as a stream of hexadecimal digits

=> yes, the idea is to be able to change sent messages.

> However I am wondering what's exactly the content of the file.

=> it is what the documentation says and -xT prints them so you
have an idea/example of what is really in it. And you have the testdata
files in the tests directory (src/bin/perfdhcp/tests/testdata/*.hex)

> Do you have any examples on how to build a template?

=> initially I edited the output of tcpdump -x but perhaps there are
easier ways? Anyway on one side you have a string of hexadecimal digits
in a file and on the other side tcpdump (or tshark) with an hexadecimal
dump. With enough feedback rounds you should get what you'd like...

> I basically need to simulate 50 machines with different macs
> constantly sending DISCOVERY packets and each discovery packet must
> request options 66 (TFTP server) and 67 (FILENAME).

=> this is a typical use of the template feature!

Thanks

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>