[kea-dev] Extending client classification in Kea 1.1 - requirements/design

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Tue Jan 19 19:36:15 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

We have implemented a somewhat basic client classification in Kea 1.0.
It is working for some scenarios, but currently lacks fancier features.
We do have a plan to extend it in Kea 1.1. I have updated the
requirements [1] and design [2] documents. It would be great if you
could read and comment on them.

The existing stuff from Kea 1.0 is referred to as phase 1. Plans for Kea
1.1 are referred to as phase 2. Phase 3 are things that we'd like to get
one day, but decided not to do them in the Kea 1.1 timeframe.

In particular, there are couple ideas in the Open Questions section that
require comments from developers and users. I list the questions here,
but please do read the [1] document as it provides more background reasons:

Q1: We do have boolean (and, or, not) operators designed and planned for
1.1. Do we also want arithmetic comparison (>, <, >=, <=) operators?

Q2: Do we want find(string, what) operator?

Q3: Do we want len(string) operator?

Q4: Do we want option[123].len specifier?

Q5: Do we want to have an ability to specify that if packet is matched
to a class, the packet is immediately dropped?

The links are:
1. http://kea.isc.org/wiki/ClientClassificationRequirements
2. http://kea.isc.org/wiki/ClientClassificationDesign

We would like to get going with the implementation, so please send your
comments no later than 2016-01-26 (the next Wednesday).

Thanks,
Tomek